Flooding has always been a big issue in Loughton. LRA Cllr Ken Angold-Stephens (a resident of some 50 years) can remember seeing the Roding Road/Valley Hill area under water on several occasions and High Road shops also flooded from time to time. The causes were the volume of water coming off the forest and the Roding overflowing its banks to cover the flood plain (playing fields) at least once every other winter. Loughton Brook, which comes off the forest and runs under the High Road and alongside Roding Road, also used to over-spill its banks regularly. After heavy downpours the drainage systems around Loughton simply could not cope and unfortunately this is still the case today.
Woodbury Hill, however, continues as an unmade road, opening up to afford fine views over the forest towards High Beech Church spire. Several houses (15) overlook the valley of Loughton Brook, on the site known as Drummaids, formerly gravel pits (see "People and Places" d(. A windmill was planned for this site in 1809 but never built. Here until 1914, locals gathered annually for the maypole festivities. The first house is the converted coach house of Loughton Lodge. There follows a surprisingly modern timber-clad building in colonial style (1964), recently renamed "Drummonds", but formerly "Drummer Maid". The imposing Loughton Lodge in part dates back to 1794 but is largely early 19th Century (see "People and Places" b) Finally, and in complete contrast is "Woodpeckers", a cedar-clad structure designed by Kenneth Lindy, on steeply sloping ground, designed in the late fifties.